The brooch is back!
For good reason, pins and brooches have been an accessory mainstay for centuries. When fully utilized, these treasures can be some of the most versatile "bang for your buck" in your accessory armoire. Vintage brooches, in particular, add a unique flair to an otherwise ordinary outfit in a variety of ways. Gone are the days when you could only wear a brooch on your coat lapel. Why, when there are so many other options?
Top ways to wear vintage brooches and pins:
- In your hair. Attached to a ponytail holder, plain headband, hair clip, or even a hat a brooch is a great way to finish your hairstyle creatively and easily.
- Define your waist. Whether using one statement brooch or a cluster of smaller pins, a brooch is a great way to change or highlight the waistline on an outfit, directly on the garment or on top of a belt.
- Down to your toes. As much as we love shoes, we can’t all have the perfect shoes for every outfit. Maximize your shoe wardrobe by pinning the perfect accent onto the straps, toe box, or vamp of your favorite pair.
- Put a ring on it. Wear a brooch as another piece of jewelry - pinned to a fabric bracelet, ring, or on a chain - what piece of jewelry could be more versatile?
- Button up. A brooch is ideal for quick fixes in addition to adding a little je ne sais quoi to an ensemble. Use a brooch as the closure on a jacket, to replace a hook and eye on a dress, zipper pull, to close a gaping blouse, even to secure a broken bracelet or necklace.
- Tie it in. A brooch is perfect for dressing up a scarf or keeping a shawl in place.
- Luxe Lapel. An oldie but goodie. If you are lacking inspiration for wearing a brooch on your shirt’s lapel, add it to your jacket or coat. An easy way to look polished, not to mention find your black winter coat in a pile at a party.
- “Change” Purse. Whether you want to accessorize your canvas shopper or create a more secure clasp on an open-top hobo handbag, brooches work on your bags too. A cluster of pins could even help you locate your suitcase at baggage claim.
- Convertible Clothing. Brooches give you more bang for your buck - create ruching on a basic tee, pin to the “V” of a neckline or draw attention to cleavage in a strapless dress, even change the neckline on a top by pinning the straps into a halter...the options are endless!
These are just a few ideas for incorporating vintage brooches into your contemporary wardrobe. This versatile vintage accessory is available in a variety of price ranges and is also an excellent place to begin your vintage collection. To find the right brooch for you, you should experiment with different styles. You may discover that you prefer lighter or heavier materials, larger or smaller rhinestones, or enamel. When it comes to vintage brooches and pins, there is a style for everyone. In fact, there are frequently several and fair warning, it is addictive! But with so many applications and timeless styles, this is one addiction you can afford to indulge in.